Most Popular Posts

Friday 5 October 2012

Flashing your NSA310 with Debian Squeeze to run Sabnzbd, Sickbeard & CouchPotato - Part 4


This one has been in my drafts forever, I thought I would take the time to post it in-case anyone followed parts 1-3.
If you missed parts 1-3 of this post here they are:

Part 1

Part 2
Part 3

Otherwise lets get started!


OK, at the end of part 3 I asked you to make a note of the MAC address assigned to eth1, providing you have it then SSH to your NSA310 and login, then type


pico /etc/rc.local


then edit your file to look exactly like mine below:














Once you have edited the file, press Ctrl+O to write it out, Ctrl+X to exit.

This statement will fix the brightness of your LEDS. Now to set your MAC address to what it should be (instead of 00:00:00:00:00:00)

type pico /etc/network/interfaces and edit your file to look like mine (changing the MAC to your own)















save and exit

now to edit sysctl.conf, type:


pico /etc/sysctl.conf and add these lines:



# Set VM min memory
vm.min_free_kbytes=8192

save and exit

Now for one last edit:

pico /default/rcs, delete the entire contents and type/paste
:
#
# /etc/default/rcS
#
# Default settings for the scripts in /etc/rcS.d/
#
# For information about these variables see the rcS(5) manual page.
#
# This file belongs to the "initscripts" package.

# delete files in /tmp during boot older than x days.
# '0' means always, -1 or 'infinite' disables the feature
TMPTIME=0

# spawn sulogin during boot, continue normal boot if not used in 30 seconds
SULOGIN=no

# do not allow users to log in until the boot has completed
DELAYLOGIN=no

# assume that the BIOS clock is set to UTC time (recommended)
UTC=yes

# be more verbose during the boot process
VERBOSE=no

# automatically repair filesystems with inconsistencies during boot
FSCKFIX=no

# mount /run/lock as a tmpfs (separately from /run)
RAMLOCK=no

# mount /run/shm as a tmpfs (separately from /run)
RAMSHM=no

# mount /tmp as a tmpfs
RAMTMP=no

again save and exit

That’s the hardware setup and ready for action now we can install Sab, CP & Sickbeard.

**NOTE** If I get time I will post these steps up, but for now Parts 1-4 are a good place for anyone to start with this

4 comments:

  1. I've read it - and it looks good based on my minimal experience in this area, so I wanted to let you know that your posts haven't fallen onto stoney ground. I just need to be brave enough to do it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it Bob, its well worth doing this, I have had it running for a good 8 months now and it hasn't let me down.
    I do wish the box had more RAM but its great for what it is and if you need any more help at all leave a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wayne,

    I have a NSA320 and I wanted to follow your steps. However, previously, I tried to flashed archlinux on my box. As i am not an expert, I am not able to finish the installation, thus I wanted to follow your blog. Where explanations are clear!


    However, when I connect the TTL Serial to USB to my PC, power on the box and use putty, the correct port number/baud rate, nothing appears in the window. Have you experienced a similar problem?

    Any idea how to fix it?

    best regards,

    Tonkiplis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tonkiplis,
    I did have the same problem as you with the first cable I used (CA-42) it just would not work at all, the second one I used (DKU-5) worked fine after getting the Tx and Rx wires the correct way around. I got mine from eBay. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete